Over the course of 5 days in July, ten dedicated women gave up their families and work responsibilities to attend the first part of a 90 hour training course for Level 1 catechists.
Below are some pictures and reflections on those days spent studying theology, doctrine, early childhood development, the Montessori philosophy, materials making and soaking in the beauty of Catechesis of the Good Shepherd.
Many are called, few are chosen. Yes, an overused, cliche catchphrase is rolling around my mind as I attempt to thoughtfully ponder commencing a heartfelt reflection of the 33+ hours I spent last weekend training to become a Good Shepherd catechist. I stand by my catchy opener: we are among the called. And we have chosen. We knew this work would require 90 hours of formation (as a starting point!). We knew we were agreeing to a 1-2 hour weekly "teaching" commitment. We knew this endeavor would mean time, effort and resources away from our families. But we chose to answer that beautiful call from the Holy Spirit--He chose us and we chose YES. How blessed we are.We haven't even begun working with the children. Our atrium is in its infancy of production. The official start of the program is still a few months off. But already I'm overwhelmed with gratitude that the Lord brought this opportunity before us. Catechesis of the Good Shepherd has touched my spirit, and I can see a similar imprint upon my fellow catechists. We grew together this past weekend, the Lord knitted together our collective desire to serve Him in this particular way, and this amazing shawl of love blankets our program that will be a part of St. Pat's offerings this fall. How blessed we are. Being a part of all this has ignited an excitement and fervor inside me I didn't expect. And I truly cannot wait to share it with all who come through the doors.Thanks be to God!Natalie Greco
These past few days of training for Catechesis of the Good Shepherd helped me so much. I have a much better understanding of how things will look in the atrium, ways to approach the presentations, how to let the students work, and a better grasp of the CGS program as a whole. I love how CGS allows students to work with the materials - they can create a mini altar and set it up like it might be seen during Mass. That is so neat!
One thing that stood out to me during the training is how the only Teacher in the atrium is Christ. Our job as catechists is simply to present the material (that is rooted in the Bible, catechism, or Church teaching) and then to step back and allow the students to learn and understand (while letting the Holy Spirit do His work). I am excited to see the fruits of CGS, and I am blessed with the opportunity to be a part of this program.
Carrie Hulbert
Finally, brothers and sisters, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable--if anything is excellent or praiseworthy--think about such things. Phillipians 4:8









No comments:
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.