Wednesday, September 13 & Thursday, September 14
Ms.Rianna Brazee - Wednesday, Atrium 1
We made it to day one. It feel like years ago we started and suddenly there are parents dropping off their children to us for the First Day in the Atrium.
It is nerve-wracking. I’m on the floor trying to engage the children and help them stay calm as we had a few who were screaming for their mothers still. Bella, as soon as she arrived is in my face saying hello. She keeps standing up and announcing that I am her mommy and “she wants to tell me something” standing in my space and hands on face as I am trying to sing and play the guitar. I plow on...and somehow she sits down (thanks to whoever got her to do that!). We sing Jesus Loves me. The children know this song and sing it. I tell them that the Atrium is a gift to them from St. Patricks. That is is a peaceful, holy place full or work for them to do to learn about Jesus. We learn the words to Holy Ground and then we sing.... And suddenly, the peace starts to flow. It is still crazy, but the stillness is welling up from the deep. We enter the Atrium. 30 minutes is not long and I don’t remember much except--they listened, they responded to the questions. They learned “Quiet Hand” how to interrupt a catechist or assistant to ask for help. They practiced beautiful walking and Eli walked so slow he almost wasn’t moving. They wanted to try. They were proud of their work. At the prayer table where we ended, there was a palpable gasp as I struck the match and they naturally repeated with me, “Christ has died, Christ is risen” I almost cried right then. And then there was the Candle Snuffer! They all wanted to learn that work (use it) right then and there and were thrilled to learn that someday they would snuff a candle! We sang holy Ground again and they sang, and started to learn the signs for it. So beautiful. So many hours of work for the First day. Yes, I can’t wait to return.
Ms. Jennifer Ockerlander - Thursday, Atrium 2
Even though the first day in the atrium was only thirty minutes long, it was more than enough time to confirm to me that the Holy Spirit is guiding this work. After I lit the candle for the prayer table presentation, I looked up and saw 8 little pairs of eyes riveted to what I was doing. The verse “Jesus said, "Let the little children come to me, and do not hinder them, for the kingdom of heaven belongs to such as these." Matthew 19:14 Immediately it came to me. In these children’s eyes,I saw a hunger to learn more about the Good Shepherd. I saw an openness and delight rarely, if ever, seen in adults. These children were so ready to meet our Living God. Everyone was quiet and waiting with joyful anticipation at what would happen next. Tears welled up in my eyes as I sat there. The months of hard work were bearing initial fruit. I felt the Holy Spirit assuring me that this was good work. This was His work.
Ms. Geralyn Ward - Thursday, Atrium 1
The first night of CGS was a short introduction to the atrium. We began by sharing that the Atrium is a special, holy place to learn about Jesus. In our special room we demonstrated how to talk, walk, greet one another and to ask for help.
The children were called by name and given a flower. We closed our session by asking the children to put their flowers in a vase on our prayer table. We shared that the prayer corner is the most special place in the atrium. It is the place of deepest silence and they can come to the prayer table whenever they would like to spend time with Jesus. The children pointed out the items on our prayer table; the Bible, Good Shepherd statue, prayer card with the Bible verse, "Taste and See the Goodness of the Lord" & a candle. I lit the candle and together we said, "Christ has died, Christ is Risen." I extinguished the candle and together we sang Holy Ground, while using sign language, and then closed by singing, Shalom.
CGS catechists are trained to ponder and wonder with the children and to spend the majority of time in the atrium observing. In our short time together, I observed the joy and awe that children intrinsically possess towards the good, the true and the beautiful. I look forward to learning more about the Good Shepherd through the eyes of the children.
Ms. Amy Valentine - Thursday, Atrium 1
How will this day go? How will the kids react? So much time spent- training, materials making,
pondering, and praying.
The children are arriving with their parents. So new for everyone. Some smiles, some scared faces, some with anxiety.
Begin singing- Some happy faces, some joyful faces. Who can resist a great song with children singing. Good bye Mom or Dad, see you in a little while.
Let’s enter the Atrium. Let’s head over to a very special place in the Atrium-The Prayer Corner (Table). What is this area all about? Hmmm I wonder?
“My mommy has that Bible” says a little boy. “Yes, we have one of those at home” says a young girl. “Who is that?” That is the Good Shepherd, says the catechist.
How nice it is to be around young children. They are so curious.
No comments:
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.