Sunday, February 11, 2018

Become like little children

by Jennifer Francois


And he said: "Truly I tell you, unless you change and become like little children, you will never enter the kingdom of heaven”.                Matthew 18:3





During Advent we talked often of the darkness and the people who were waiting for a great light. We shared a beautiful Christmas celebration in which each of the Infancy narratives were illuminated by a single candle.  This recurring theme of Jesus as the light is something we’ve touched on many times.  As a catechist with the 3-6 year olds,  I sometimes wonder if the children are “getting it” and understanding these real meanings?  Surely not, but we are planting seeds for future understanding, I tell myself.  

Last week, I was giving a presentation on the Altar work.  This time explaining the tabernacle and ciborium, under lock and key.  Why is there a lock on the tabernacle?  Why do we lock things up?  What kinds of things do we normally lock up? 
The child shares that his parents lock the front door locked because there are people inside to keep safe.  Also, he shares, a treasure chest has a lock.  It holds treasures!

The children have been eagerly awaiting the day that they are able to see what’s inside the model tabernacle in the atrium, a presentation they’ve yet to receive.  But this day, as I slowly reach for the key and unlock the model tabernacle, the four year old squirms with anticipation.  

“This is so exciting!” he whispers. I lift the lid off of the ciborium so the child sees how to work with these inviting materials.  I explain that this ciborium is empty, because it is just a model and not the real ciborium that the Fr. Nienhaus uses in the real church next door.  




“What is that?” the child asks, pointing inside the ciborium to a tiny piece of paper.  

We have pasting collage works that the children can work with in the atrium.  One of them has small paper cut outs of a candle, candlestick holder, and a bright red flame cut out of red paper. 



As I tipped the ciborium to look inside, I see that someone has placed one of the red paper flames inside the ciborium, probably a child from the week before.  “Well , that doesn’t belong there”, I say quickly, placing the paper in my pocket and moving along with the presentation.

And he said: "Truly I tell you, unless you change and become like little children, you will never enter the kingdom of heaven”. 

Later that day I was reflecting on the child who went unnoticed as he secretly hid the burning flame over in the altar corner. What a beautiful understanding made manifest by a child. Jesus. The Light. A burning flame. Waiting patiently for us to discover Him in the tabernacle.

And I missed it. I swept it into my pocket like garbage.


If I ever wondered if the children are understanding the messages being shared this year, I have a renewed spirit that takes takes joy in the tiniest beauty around me, made manifest by a child.  




No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.